Electric Space Heating, Electric Vehicle Charging, Water Heating
(Rate Schedule E or U)
To qualify for the Off-Peak rate, the loads must be metered separately and are subject to the rules and regulations of the Off-Peak Agreement. As ordered by the Public Utilities Commission, members in the former Alliant service territory are ineligible to participate in this program until September 2018.
Off-Peak is available to all members that have:
- Utility-approved electric space heating equipment of at least eight kW
- Electric storage water heating at least 100 gallons in capacity
- A hard-wired, level two electric vehicle charger
People's Energy's off-peak program has two seasons, winter and summer. Details regarding load control are listed below:
- Winter Off-Peak Season
- Runs from November 1 through April 30
- Loads are controlled from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. with staggered start and end times
- Power is restored for a short two-hour window in the early afternoon to allow for re-charging
- Summer Off-Peak Season
- Runs from May 1 through October 31
- Loads are controlled from 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m with staggered start and end times
- With the late start during this season, there is no window in the afternoon where power is restored
During both seasons, your power will not be interuppted on weekends or holidays.
The radio receiver and meter are both supplied by the Cooperative.
Brick Storage Units and floor cable heat are examples of loads that qualify for Off-Peak. Heating loads must be 8 KW or larger to qualify. Electric water heaters require a minimum of 100 gallon capacity.
If the primary source of residential heat is electricity, then the electricity consumed is not taxed during the winter heating months (bills received in December through May).